At STYLEWAVE, we understand that all of our clients are unique, with different hair, and different issues to go along with it. Whether it's curly, straight, thick, fine, coarse or fluffy, everyone has their own hair issues to contend with, and they can't all be dealt with the same way.
That said, we've compiled a list that we're calling STYLEWAVE's' Top 10 Tips for Beautiful Hair – because there are certain things that almost everybody can do you keep their hair looking healthy and gorgeous. It may not always be easy, but these 10 tips are no-brainers!
STYLEWAVE's' Top 10 Tips for Beautiful Hair
- Leave it alone! The more you fuss with your hair, the more likely it it to get tangled, and cause breakage. So hands off!
- Shampoo less. Shampoo can strip your hair of it's natural oils, causing your ends to dry out and your scalp to produce more oil to compensate – which makes you want to shampoo more. It's a vicious cycle, so try and break it by shampooing only 2-3 times per week. Or, try a natural-formula shampoo that doesn't have harsh foaming agents like sodium laurel sulfate.
- Condition more. This keeps your hair supple and healthy, and is especially important if you live in a dry climate, and during the winter. If you have fine hair, only condition your ends.
- Touch up your roots. If you colour your hair, you know that regular maintenance is important in keeping your colour looking fresh – but too much of it can damage your hair. Instead of having your whole head of hair re-coloured, just get your roots touched up on a regular basis.
- Get frequent trims. Regular trims keep your ends healthy, and prevent breakage. It may seem counter-intuitive if you're trying to grow your hair out long, but that's when it's extra important! What's the point of having long hair if your ends look all scraggly? You'll just have to cut more off in the long run. Regular trims keep your hair healthy, and they'll help you achieve the length you want faster.
- Avoid heat. Heat styling is a really efficient way to damage your hair! It dries hair out, and causes damage. Remember, the only part of your hair that's actually alive is the root, so once your hair is damaged, it won't heal itself like your skin will. So set your blow dryer on a cooler setting and only break out that straightener when absolutely necessary!
- Try silk pillow cases. Cotton pillowcases have a rougher surface than silk or satin, which can cause your hair to snag and tangle. Invest in some nice silk pillowcases – your hair will just glide across them, keeping it smooth, shiny, and tangle-free.
- Try a deep conditioning treatment. This goes hand in hand with #3. You can book and appointment for one of our STYLEWAVE-brand, all-natural deep conditioning treatments, or you can try making your own at home, with ingredients like coconut oil, avocado, or eggs.
- Wear a hat or shawl on a windy day. Wind can turn your hair into a tangled mess in seconds, and tangles cause breakage. So if it's really windy out, wear a hat or shawl, or keep your hair in a braid or ponytail, to minimize damage.
- Invest in a good brush or comb. Make sure the spot where the brush bristles meet the base is smooth, and that there are no little gaps in which you can snag your hair. Boar bristle brushes are great for this. Buy a wide-tooth, wooden comb – it won't have any sharp seams that can cause damage and breakage, like the plastic ones do.
Call STYLEWAVE today to book an appointment, or drop by and take a look at our range of all-natural hair and beauty products, from mild shampoos and rich conditioners to our line of beautiful rosewood combs.